“I tell you,whenever you did this for one of the least important of these brothers of mine, you did it for me.” (Mt 25:40)
The Pioneer Sr. Josna Mary
BRIEF HISTORY OF JEEVODAY
By the pain and suffering, the intellectually disabled of his niece, the idea was conceived by late Archbishop Most. Rev. Leobard D’Souza to explore possibility to serve for such children in Nagpur Archdiocese in the year 1988. In the back drop of his wish he invited the competent trained and dedicated Assisi sisters of Mary Immaculate from Kerala to Nagpur Arch Diocese so as to dedicate and render yeomen serve for the cause of intellectually disabled children in and around Nagpur.
Srs. Josna and Jecinth came down to Nagpur a new place with different state and Language took the challenge in this sphere and with their active involvement it was decided to set up an institution on a piece of land in the Campus of S.F.S school Nagpur in a small dilapidated school building for this cause and named Jeevoday Special School for the Intellectually disabled under the aegis of a society called Jeevoday Education Society registered under the Bombay Public Trust Act bearing registration No.NHA/118/92(Nagpur) under the societies registration act 1860, and No. F-9733 under Bombay Trust Act 1950,
The School as such was established in the year 1989 with 17 students of various stages disabled in the age group 3 to 25 years of different caste, creed, religion and of both the sex.
With the passage of time the school growth was taking place year to year. Students have been pouring for admission. The parents from distant places expected the children be admitted in the school for their up bring and development at the hands of dedicated trained sisters and staff of this school.
The school has risen many fold and having strength of 350 students. Over the years, management of the school thought to trained the students in vocational areas and with this aim the Prathiksha Rehabilitation Center came to be established in 2002.
Jeevoday College of Special Education (ID) was blessed and inaugurated on 20th July 2009.
Now by the grace of Almighty School has now come up and housed in own three storied newly constructed building completed in the year 2014, with all facilities and including indoor and out door auditorium, special class rooms, laboratories and beautiful play field in the heart of the city of Nagpur, Sadar area.
1. To encourage and assist the intellectually disabled children in improving their mental and physical abilities and to make them self reliant and independent as much as possible and less of a burden to their families and the society at large.
- To help the adult intellectually disabled men and women to acquire useful skills like Computer training, tailoring, typing, cooking, file making, phenyl making, Art and Craft, Paper bag making etc.
- To help these adults to enter into to the main stream of the society along with other members of their neighborhood
- To promote through awareness programs, such as seminars workshops for parents, relatives, friends to accept the intellectually disabled adults as full-fledged members of the society
- By vocational training opportunity will be provided– sufficient and gainfully employment
- To offer within our possibilities, job oriented training suited to their talents and skills of these adults.
we love to serve & support many more Special youngsters and their parents and also bring them in main stream to give quality education and training, especially computer training. So that we need financial support from the part of Govt., Society & parents. We are looking for some suitable job placements for our students who pass out from our vocational training center to make them self sufficient & productive members of the society. We also hope for the ‘inclusive education’ for the disabled students especially borderline & mild category.